We are aware problems have continued with the US Mail Delivery (or ‘non-delivery’ depending on your case and how you choose to see it).
We have continued research, including online, discussion with the onsite delivery personnel, and other property managers. We were also given an opportunity to view two baskets full of US Mail that were being rejected and returned to sender. According to the carrier, this represented about 2 days worth of mail that would not be delivered. We saw everything from bank statements, social security checks, magazines and bills, to junk mail. For these two baskets of mail, we assisted the carrier to make sure this particular batch was delivered.
99% of this mail had one thing in common; there were no Unit Numbers. The other 1% were names we did not recognize. This was HUNDREDS of pieces of mail over two business days that would otherwise not be delivered. With the length of time Pete – our previous long time carrier – worked here, he was very familiar with names and was able to get the bulk of this distributed with relative ease. Unfortunately, since he left we have not had a permanent carrier. And although we provide them with a list of occupant names, it would be physically impossible for the carriers to sort through this volume of mail each day to get it to the proper unit.
There are two things residents can do. First, for all your accounts and business activities – credit cards, banks, utilities, magazines, government agencies, etc. – please insure the sender has your unit number.
Also, if you are experiencing this problem repeatedly, and find that it is indeed due to the lack of a Unit Number, put in a change of address. For the old address, use 5415 North Sheridan Rd., and for the new address use 5415 North Sheridan Rd. Apt. #___. Follow this link for instructions:
It is certainly possible based on the complaints we receive, it’s more than just Unit Numbers at issue. However, having the opportunity to view the baskets of mail that would not be delivered certainly seemed to identify that as a big part of the problem. We will not have another opportunity to do this, so it is really incumbent upon residents to make sure and identify their mailing address with the use of a unit number.
We have had a number of complaints about residents receiving their neighbors mail. We are happy to help coordinate getting that to your neighbor if you let us know. The door staff is also happy to help with this. When you have problems like this, or other irritating mistakes are made by the carrier, please write the post office: