Know Your Tax Preparer
February 1, 2017
From the City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection
January 2017 Newsletter
Know Before You Hire A Tax Preparer
According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Tax Season officially started on January 23rd. People are busy preparing to file their taxes – but before you hire a tax preparer the City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection (BACP) provides you with the following tips:
- Look for a City of Chicago Business License prominently displayed and visible to the customers.
- Know what a “tax preparer” is and who it does not include.
- Check the Preparer’s history.
- Make sure the Preparer is available.
- Avoid large refund claims.
- Check the Preparer’s qualifications.
- Know Your Rights. Avoid Preparers who don’t provide you with an estimate of the cost of services and a Consumer Bill of Rights before you use their services.
- Find a Free Tax Preparer. The City of Chicago has partnered with the Center for Economic Progress and Ladder Up to support eligible families and individuals who cannot afford professional tax preparation services. Visit www.taxprepchicago.org to find the nearest free tax preparation site.
See the Know Before You Hire a Tax Preparer Flyer for more detailed information. Go to Tax Preparer for more information including Consumer Bill of Rights Regarding Tax Preparation Services. To file a complaint call 311.