“The historic home at 1436 W. Berwyn has been sold to a family that plans on restoring the property instead of the previous owner’s intended plans of demolition.
The previous owner of 1436 Berwyn, developer Aidan Development, was planning on demolishing most if not all of the building. Those plans set off a battle in the community to save the structure. The developer enlisted local architect Jack Stoneberg of Stoneberg & Gross Architects to design a multi-unit condo building for the site.
1436 W. Berwyn was built in 1908 by two local Swedish immigrant brothers, Christ and John Christiansen. The rare 2-flat graystone is one of the most ornamental buildings in Edgewater. The building, which sits on an extra large 50′ x 125′ lot, is a perfect candidate for a tear-down. The low purchase price Aidan Development paid mixed with the wide lot means a developer can come in, demolish the property, construct a condo building and make a nice profit. In addition, most of East Andersonville is zoned R4, which means larger multi-story buildings can be built on the site….”
Thanks to Unit Owner Nancy Smith-Ledvina for sharing this post.