Recently the office received a complaint about someone going door to door soliciting money. We received a description of a white male, balding, middle aged, knocking on doors and requesting change or money.
First – and most importantly – if anyone unknown to you is knocking, do not open the door. If the individual refuses to go away, please report it immediately to the front desk at 773-769-3083. If the individual is being belligerent or appears intoxicated, you should also consider contacting 911.
Second, this type of activity is prohibited by the Association’s Rules. We would like our staff to follow up on any type of incident like this. For everyone’s comfort and security we try to identify such individuals, intervene, and stop it from happening again.
This gives us an opportunity to share other tips and insights all owners and residents can keep in mind to help keep Park Tower more secure:
1. Obviously keep your unit entry doors closed and locked at all times, and do not open for anyone you do not know or who is not appropriately identified to you (such as maintenance conducting a work order).
2. Report any suspicious persons or behavior with as little delay possible. Anything the slightest bit odd or out of place should be looked into. Depending on the nature of the situation, the staff can respond if you contact the front desk at 773-769-3083. If you feel the situation warrants the involvement of the authorities, it is better to be safe than sorry, so call 911.
3. Stop “tailgaters”, that is, people you do not know who follow you in secured doorways. If you run your fob at a door anywhere in the building, it is a secured doorway and only folks with fobs or your guests should be going through the door with you. If you do not know someone following you in, do not feel uncomfortable asking them if they are a neighbor and have a fob. AND LIKEWISE – anyone tailgating, have your fob out, and be understanding if someone wants to confirm you’re a neighbor. It’s for everyone’s comfort and security.
4. Report “tailgaters” who refuse to identify themselves. If someone ignores you or becomes belligerent, do not bother arguing, and do not try stopping them yourselves – it is better to avoid an altercation for your own safety and security…report it to the staff. Let the staff investigate. We have reasonably good surveillance coverage if necessary and the staff will get involved and investigate possible trespassers.
5. If a member of the staff requests that you identify yourself, the wrong answer (with all due respect) is, “YOU SHOULD KNOW ME! I HAVE LIVED HERE FOR 20 YEARS!” Which the employees hear more often then you might expect, with the only real difference being the number of years. Unfortunately, not everyone can memorize all names and faces, despite our best efforts. Remember, the staff is just doing their job and trying to protect the community. Introduce yourself (even if you have done so before), and confirm you are legit.
6. When entering and exiting the garage, be aware of your surroundings including individuals that may be entering on the sly through the garage doors. If you see someone walking in as you drive in, or after you exit, please report it to the front desk, 773-769-3083. They will coordinate with Security and the Garage Office to investigate immediately.
Keeping these points in mind, working together with your neighbors and staff, we can keep the Park Tower community as safe as possible. Each person and eye on events and surroundings is a valuable resource in this regard.
Also, never hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or suggestions you may have about safety and security. Send the office an e-mail anytime.