BlockBins Composting Now Available At PT
August 28, 2020
Shared From The Most Recent TowerTalk Newsletter
September – November 2020
“You may have noticed these green disposal bins in our Dock area, tucked behind the recycling dumpsters. They may be used by residents who subscribe to Blockbins.com, a Chicago-based composting service. Rates start at $10 a month for compostable waste, which is treated at a facility here in Chicago and sold to landscapers and municipalities to create green spaces.
Composting is not offered by our building’s primary recycler; garbage tossed down the chutes goes to landfill. Blockbins is a green alternative, but it requires a core group of subscribers to assure its continuation at PT.”
Food Scrap Recycling Guide
1. Please seal all your food waste in BPI Certified compostable bags during hot summer months to keep flies away.
2. Essentially all organic matter can be recycled. However, rotting meat, rancid oil, spoiled milk, and feces will cause the Block Bin to smell. Please avoid these materials.
3. Please note that raw/cooked meat and fish will cause odors, and in summer months can attract flies and larvae. Please put meat scrap in a paper bag, and then seal it in a compostable bag with the rest of your kitchen scraps before disposal.
4. You can use any container you like to collect food scrap. You can purchase a 5 gallon bucket and line them with a compostable bag. You can also use a counter top container and use compostable liners.
5. Store your food scrap in a container in your freezer, and take it out when it gets full. This prevents odors, stays cleaner, and reduces your trips to the Block Bin.
What can you recycle with Block Bins?
Coffee Filters & Tea Bags
BPI Certified Compostable Plastics
Soiled paper (Non-glossy, plastic-free)
Bones from cooking
Excess oils (>4oz)
Paper coffee cups
Learn More At: https://www.blockbins.com/about